Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Some things in this world are hideous. Look at them.


You have probably already heard about Josef Fritzl.
He drugged and handcuffed his 18 year old daughter, and then kept her prisoner in an underground apartment. Over the 24 years she was there, she was repeatedly raped, and gave birth to seven of her father's children.
I read all I could about this story last night, from a few different sources to get as many facts as were available. Two aspects of this puzzling, disturbing story stood out to me more than the others.
One of the articles stated that Fritzl would get the maximum 15 year sentence if he were convicted of rape. Although Fritzl is 73 years old, and a 15 year prison sentence would likely see him die in prison, I don't believe 15 years is enough. I wonder if a charge of rape, or 'murder through failure to act' (another of the possible charges) is enough. I can't help but feel that the case is choked by this charge, serious as it is.
I feel like any one charge laid on this man in the hopes of getting the maximum sentence will not be punishment enough--will not get to the heart of what he has done to the lives of the vulnerable people he should have been protecting. In my heart I want to know that whatever happens to this man will be enough to deter anyone from doing anything like this again. The darkest, angriest part of me wants to see him made an example of. I guess that the law will do what it is able to do, and society will have to do the rest.

Which leads me to the second thing that was interesting about this case. Several of the articles had quotes from analysts and citizens in Austria. One newspaper commentator called Austria a "rich, self-satisfied society" and wondered why no one had asked any questions. This question is especially important because of Natascha Kampusch case in 2006. She was imprisoned for more than 8 years after being kidnapped. How is Austria like/unlike Canada, the States, or other parts of Europe? What do these crimes say about the state of our society, and about the relationships in families, neighborhoods and cities? Is this a trend, or a coincidence? A product of individual mental problems? Old world thinking? The objectification of women in the media?
I hope that when this story no longer has the power to shock, it remains in the news. I feel like it's a huge flashing arrow, pointing at a filthy tear in the fabric of society and begging us to mend it.

3 comments:

Tomek said...

called Austria a "rich, self-satisfied society"

because the state of affairs in the poorer countries of the world is so much better and healthier?

Liz said...

I know, I know. I'm not romanticizing life in poorer societies. I guess I just wish that as people got richer they became more connected to one another, and more community-oriented instead of hiding in their pods. I'm a bit of a pod-hider. I admit it, but I'm not proud of it.

Nemo Dally said...

This is my favourite excerpt from the Kampusch article:

"On her first interview Christoph Feurstein asked her if she had been lonely during captivity. Kampusch snapped "what a ridiculous question" and left the room, returning after a brief pause."

Feurstein, you genius.