Thursday, April 10, 2008

Naked Faced

At the laundromat, folding clothes.
Daytime television is on. It's Days of Our Lives, a show that I remember watching with my mother when I was a child. After a catty dinner scene in a restaurant, it's time for a commercial break.
Soap is no longer the starring sponsor...but I'm not sure that we've come very far.
Almost every commercial is for a beauty product. I listen to the slogans from behind the television and feel like I hear them for the first time.
Whispered: 'Maybe she's born with it...'
Sung: Maybe it's Maybelline.
(You're jealous of her...is she naturally more beautiful than you? No! You can purchase something that will give you the same powerful, illusive beauty)

'Secret Deodorant--Because You're Hot!'
(Their website has polls for 'hottest gadget', 'best way to keep your body smokin' hot' and 'best hangover breakfast'. I'm so glad that someone is providing a spot for young women to share their interests!)

And the last one I remember, an ad for under eye shadow-reducing cream.

Okay, I haven't been watching television for awhile now. And things really haven't changed that much...I remember these commercials, as well as shows like '10 years younger'. And perhaps I'm a touch more sensitive because I'm getting older, and closer to the possibility of....well, y'know...
















Crazy catladydom.
Art is wonderful. Some people see the enjoyment and application of makeup as artistic, and I agree that it can be. I have a problem with the distance that the regular use of makeup puts between the private person and the public person. I have a problem with how it makes you dependent on it, and causes others to feel inadequate.
The most skillful application of makeup is supposed to appear natural, which creates an unattainable illusion of perfection. It creates a short leash for women...chaining them to their purses and to their handmirrors and to the bathrooms of whatever establishment they're in.
These are not original opinions, but I believe them to be true. Restating them here is the equivalent of rubbing my own back and saying 'There there, the entire world isn't crazy.'
!
Hazzah!

1 comment:

Nemo Dally said...

I have trouble critiquing make up because it is a creative process. Also, for women, it's tied to empowering cultural concepts like adulthood.

But deep down I think make up and fashion are bullshit. Consumerist projections of insecurity that funnel individuals toward a lie.

The closer one gets to "perfection" the closer to discarding one's life to the mob.