Thursday, April 3, 2008

Oversensitivity.

There are loads of things I don't understand.
This image, for example. It was the desktop on the public
c
omputer at work for a few days. At first, I thought it was funny.
I wondered if it was a part of some kind of viral video or joke that I'd missed out on.

I have to use this computer every few days for some tedious time clock adjustments. Very shortly I got sick of looking at this crotch-grabbing plastic-clad party beast.
I started to think of it as a veiled insult to women, and started to be offended by it myself. But why?
One part of me looked at this as a harmless image. Kind of cute, composed well, definitely not going to change the course of art history. The tired, frustrated part of me started to see it as an indicator of an imbalance of attitudes in the workplace. A piece of humour that was inconsiderate to half of the population and half of the employees.
Is it about pancakes? Is it about breasts?

Either way, I couldn't stand to look at it anymore. Sometimes I'm so sensitive to this kind of thing that I make myself want to throw up.
I replaced that image with this one.



1 comment:

Nemo Dally said...

I've seen the photo that this is based on. The text is trying so hard to be a meme. I'm not sure if it's a celebration or criticism of the form of humour that dominates the internet: fratboy's hypermasculinity in a nerd wrapping.

From the creator:
"smoothtrooper is supposed to represent the guy who always makes the uncomfortable jokes" http://emptees.com/tees/2548-smooth-trooper

You were right to remove it.

But I suggest this image of an elephant who didn't feel like being sat on for humans to play polo.
http://palapye.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/10386804tidi.jpg