Monday, January 7, 2008

Tourist in Toronto - Mount Pleasant


On on of my last holiday free days, I decided to visit Mt. Pleasant Cemetery. I'm rarely in that neighborhood, but have always seen it through the windows while on the subway. I'd heard that the Eaton family and Glen Gould were buried there, and that the mausoleums were large and decorative.

Edie and I had some trouble navigating the wet, thawing snow.
Other than a few joggers and a few hundred squirrels, we had the run of the place. It was wonderfully quiet and not at all spooky. We could hear the water dripping off of the trees and our footsteps.



This gentleman, for some reason, felt the need to put a giant dollar sign in the middle of his giant cross headstone.

Tasteful!

After a bit of time checking out the grounds, chapel, and crematorium, and getting briefly lost, we headed to Mt. Pleasant Ave. to get some food and check out a toy train store.


Because of my interest in little people and tiny towns, I'd called a few stores to see if I could find a source for tiny plastic figures.
George's Trains seemed like a good place to look, and look I would have if the store weren't closed on Mondays. Instead, I had to be satisfied with the display in the window. Here is one cool scene:

The man has been pulled over and is being frisked by a policeman.

Next:
By the watertower, a spirited funeral is underway. Some of the mourners appear to be dancing .Or are they mourning...with gusto?



On the way home, we found a doll-house store. Yes, there are whole stores for doll houses and their accessories. Cans of Campbell's soup the size of a thumbtack, complete decks of playing cards, perfectly detailed pencils the just wider than a pin, and tiny, fake dinner and dessert spreads.

This photo of a kitchen set is the only picture I was able to sneak while being watched by the preoccupied staff. It must be difficult to work in a store where things are tiny and so easily stolen.




No, I didn't steal anything. I bought a pack of photographs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.