Sunday, January 13, 2008

Nobody Ever Tells You That it's Fun to Try


Do you remember Mag Ruffman?
She hosted a home repair show on the women's television network. I watched it as a tween, and was a little confused by it.
She was a funny, attractive woman who encouraged her viewers not to be afraid of tackling tasks around the house. She presented the repairs with detailed instructions, but added personal stories and jokes and introduced you to some of the people in her life. She made a few mistakes, and laughed at them or showed you how to hide them.
At the end of each show was a small segment in which she would get personal. The camera lens was misty and the setting romantic (either a bedroom or bathroom, I think) and she would assess her achievements in a jokey, flirty way. She might even have been eating candy or drinking champagne.
I remembered her while trying to fix the kitchen faucet this afternoon. I remember admiring her, but being puzzled at the sexy edges of her show. Was it an expression of her personality? A cute gimmick to add spice to a conventionally dry show format?
An attempt to glam up do-it-yourself to make it more attractive to women?
I find myself tackling minor repairs and adjustments in my life lately, and it's very satisfying. I realize how easy it would be to become totally engrossed in discovering how everything around me works. This seems to be an emerging theme with me. Sewing, silkscreening, knitting, computer basics, solo travel, basic repair/construction, all things that used to seem boring, frightening or impossible to me, now give me a great sense of control over my life.
Trying is my new hobby.

1 comment:

Tomek said...

Liz, she challenged gender roles.

She could take care of herself, use tools, but she was still sexy and feminine. Otherwise she would have just been a butch and challenged men's egos.

She broke ground for stuff like this that helped to liberate women further...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdLmyMUjXAM