Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Dance fi di Presidency

Last Friday I went out dancing. After working late and arriving late and quite wet, it was a bit hard to get into the mood to get down.
After a couple of beer, we dragged our asses out onto the dance floor. The music wasn't great at first, but it seemed to be getting better as the night wore on. The deejay started to play more dancehall and reggae and I started to get drunker and things were looking up.
Then I noticed that the lyrics to most of the songs in the chunk that I really liked had lyrics that were offensive.
First off was the whisper song. I'm sure you've heard it...the remarkably creative lyricist has these gems to offer:
"Ay Bi##h, wait til you see my dick...Imma beat that pu##y up..."
and "Walk around the club with yo thumb in ya mouth-put my dick in, take your thumb out."
I wouldn't have known the lyrics unless someone told me...and when I found out, I didn't stop dancing.
Next there was some innocuous Sean Paul, followed by the rabble-rousing "She's a Ho".
Not to fear boys...if you were uncertain whether or not your woman is unfaithful, the song provides you with tons of examples of things she might do to indicate that she is, indeed, a ho.
Remember to put up a good fight when you're approached by a man in a public place...or else!

This stuff was pretty much as I expected. I'm still not completely willing to leave the dance floor when songs like these come on, and I don't totally know how to react because it happens so rarely. Mostly I complained and made fun of the artists while I shimmied.
The most memorable song of the night was a light and playful reggae ditty that had me bouncing happily, until the chorus, which was simply the name "Barack Obama" repeated in rising tones.
In my research I discovered several songs written for the presidential hopeful, most of which celebrated his ability to unite people and anticipated positive changes that might occur if he became president. A great little song that put a shine on the damp evening.

No comments: