Sunday, July 19, 2009

Another drunk post


Went to a barbecue tonight. All was well, I was being social and funny, and felt pretty confident. Until I said something sexist. And someone called me on it.
I don't even really believe what I said. I just said it. I guess some part of me believes it. It was something that implied that men can't be blamed for cheating as much as women (in the case that the man is your partner and the woman is your friend) because your friend should know better, and a man can be more easily tempted when put into fucked up circumstances (like being wasted or heavily hit on). Someone took this to mean that I was implying that men are stupid, which I was not.
Someone else made the point that when the pants come off, everyone knows what they're doing. I agreed with that. I don't know what caused me to say what I said. It feels like a dark mark on an otherwise very lovely evening with some great new people. I'm taking it fairly lightly right now, for some reason, but I think I will actually think about it more seriously tomorrow. For now, the sleep of the well-boozed and well-snacked.

3 comments:

Graeme said...

Have you heard any of my jokes? Sexist, racist AND homophobic. I, for the record don't recall you saying anything offside, nothing worth fretting about anyway.

Also, thx for coming!

sara said...

Don't spend another moment thinking about whatever you said. I can't remember the last time I had dinner with Graeme's family and didn't say something fantastically offensive. Also, nobody else even really clocked it, so forget it. Immediately. And get back to baking me treats.

Liz said...

Ah Jeez...you guys are the best! I will promptly release all guilt and solely remember the awesome time y'all showed me :)