Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Machine Girl



I completely missed any hype around this movie.

I decided that I wanted to see it based on a short description of the plot (schoolgirl loses arm, arm is replaced with machine gun, schoolgirl gets revenge) and hoped there would be tickets for the midnight screening. It just seemed too weird to be real.
After a brief Crispin Glover related delay and some technical problems, the show started.

The first scene was a perfect introduction to the genre for me. I remember seeing Kill Bill, with it's cheesy, fake spurting wounds and being puzzled. I think that this film is the type that he was paying tribute to. Possibly the most ridiculous horror movie I've ever seen.

It was awesome.

Vomit, ninjas, people being sawed into pieces, corny dialogue, B-style special effects formulaic training and fight montages, and a saucy schoolgirl.

Sitting in the dark and hearing everyone around me laughing at the cartoony violence was a little surreal at first, but I was mostly okay with what was going on...it was so over the top. Researching the film after seeing it, I found out that two of the actresses are Japanese Adult Video stars, which made the whole thing even more interesting. With its sexy amputee star, all of the panty shots and the torture scenes, this film is a fetishists bloody wet dream. 6.5/10

No comments: