Thursday, March 6, 2008

Reverse Motivation or Earth to Steve Jobs


Motivation. I suffer from a habitual lack of it.
I'm not a complete slouch, but I've often found it difficult to begin things, even though I consider myself a fairly creative person. I fill with excitement at the prospect of a new adventure in creativity, but a combination of things seem to deter and distract me.
Most motivational speeches don't appeal to me. I feel as though they fill me with sentiment and energy that are only temporary, and I've never heard one that I can remember that's left a lasting mark.
I recently heard a commencement speech that Steve Jobs gave to the 2005 graduating class at Stanford, and I thought about it for days afterward. The title of this post is a link to the full text of the speech.
The part that got under my skin was when he said
"...for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today? And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something."
This line dug at me, and bothered me over the next few days. I thought: not everyone is you Steve Jobs. For many of those 33 years, you've lived a privileged life, with many options open to you that aren't possibilities for average people.
You're white, you're male, and you've had money for a long time now. How dare you imply that it's easy for people in other situations to throw off everything and change?
As I thought about it more, and became more angry, I realized that Steve Jobs' attitude really was motivating me, but not for the reasons that he intended.
For me, a good motivator is often anger. I remember a professor at York, one that I thought was amazing, giving me a copy of 'A Room Of One's Own' by Virginia Woolfe. At first I was pleased that he gave me something that he thought would help in my development. Looking back on it shortly after, I started to feel insulted.
Did this man think he knew me...? Or did he just think he knew where I might be in my development as a young woman?
Either way, he pissed me off. And, juvenile as this is, I find this kind of thing to be a source of motivation far more powerful than any poster or speech could be.

2 comments:

Tomek said...

so what did the anger motivate you to do?

can we expect an ipod killer in the next few weeks?

really though, what did anger motivate you to do?

Liz said...

Try to make my life more enjoyable by doing more of the things that I love. Re-prioritizing.
Nothing big.