Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Somebody died just outside

I just found out that someone died just outside my apartment in a construction accident. It must have happened shortly after I left for work.
I can't help but think of strange things because of this. My roommate told me that there was police tape outside when she went home at 4. What if I had been working the late shift? I'd likely have been in the kitchen cooking something at the time. I might have seen the man outside and waved. I might have heard a noise and gone out to see what was going on.
After having a lovely morning walk through my neighborhood, hearing this news is shocking to me. I wonder how many other people have died in my vicinity since I've been living here...I wonder if the accident could have been prevented.
I sat in my kitchen the other day, looking at the ancient drawers and cupboards and gigantic door frame and wished that I could meet everyone who's ever lived there. The place is probably at least a hundred years old and has had seven different people living in it during only the last 3 or 4 years.
I'd love it if I could get all of the renters and owners from the past and present together for a potluck.

No comments: