Monday, October 22, 2007

Undead Undead Undead



We were still putting the finishing touches on our costumes when the 2007 Toronto Zombie Walk left Trinity Bellwoods park. I'd think I read too many online zombie makeup tutorials with advice like 'bury your clothes for a week to get an authentic earthy look and smell'.
We decided to catch up with the group along the route and tried to grab a taxi-me wearing a clerk's robe with a mouth full of blood and Tom with a dripping baby's head dangling from a coat hanger just out of his reach.

As we approached Dundas and Bathurst, we ran into a few spectators with cameras who started to photograph us. It was uncomfortable being the only Zombies on Dundas, and the focus of at least four photographers, and we left to try to find the mob.
They approached us along Bathurst, and we tucked into a doorway to look at some of the costumes before joining the walk. The costumes were incredible. We saw famous zombies, just married zombies, hippies, accident victims, and a group of zombies on wheels (one of whom managed to skate slowly, mimicking the Zombie shuffle).

There was moaning, screaming, people banging on windows and delighting streetcar riders with their antics and chants of 'What do we want?" to which we, of course responded "BRAINS!!"
What I wasn't prepared for was being constantly photographed. It made me uncomfortable, and I felt like it prevented me from enjoying myself as much as I could have. Sometimes I felt the pressure to perform, and other times I tried to hide in the group as soon as I saw a group of photographers. The entire route was lined with professional and amateur photographers taking pictures constantly, as well as zombies pausing to get their own record of the experience.

My favourite part of the day was after the group reached Bloor street, when the Zombies started to break off into groups to get falafel or espresso or Burger King.

No comments: