Monday, October 29, 2007

The boy at the edge of the frame/A Night at the Opera

I've noticed that when I go to concerts or plays I tend to really notice the people in the background. What's the guy doing that I can see just beyond the curtain? What kind of expression is on the drummer's face, and what's he thinking? See the soundtrack musician? He keeps looking from the piano to the screen and back, trying to keep up with the action in the film. And I keep looking at him.
This is the page-turner:

I lucked into a free front row ticket to see Anna Bolena performed as a part of 'Opera in Concert'. Baby's first Opera.
I spent a good portion of the first half watching the page-turner. He wore black and was very still, and blended into the choir until he followed the music to the end of the page. At a nod from the pianist, already ready, he would reach up and quickly turn the page so that she could continue playing. She was the only musical accompaniment for the performance, and they worked as one to keep things moving.













I really enjoyed the performance. It was the story of Anne Boleyn sung in Italian with English subtitles. How did I get these pictures, at 2pm in a dark theatre surrounded by old people? Pure stealth.

No comments: