Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Grownups Read Things they Wrote as Kids


Lives Here.
What a wonderful night.

Who'd have known little you would be so hilarious, seemingly without effort.
Have a look at the most tender, naive, selfish, unadulterated part of yourself by looking at your childhood writings.
Some of the readers seemed to treat the evening as a sort of therapy. Others laughed at their young selves and played to the audience. Each presented a slightly painful, completely deluded and understandable view of reality. One more memorable moment-two versions of a young girl's autobiography, written two years apart. In the first "the most important person in my life...is my mother"
in the second
"the most useful person in my life is my mother"
I'd love to contribute next time...off to my mother's house to dig up some 'treasure'



2 comments:

Lisa said...

This is the coolest! It reminds me of that Michael Showalter track where he reads something he wrote for his high school newspaper.


http://lisaahh.tumblr.com/post/75811919/the-apartment-by-michael-showalter-they-didnt

There you go! It cracks me up every time.

Liz said...

That was EXACTLY what it was like. I can't wait for the next one! I remember writing my own 'new' dictionary and, somewhere, a yellow notebook with metal lyrics written backwards inside...