Friday, September 12, 2008

Biased

Scene 1: A friend mentions that he has gotten a referral from his doctor to see another doctor, who is his regular doctor's sister.
I make an off-colour joke about how he should watch out, in case his new doctor looks like his regular doctor, but instead of a man is a sexy woman.
He mentions that his regular doctor is also a woman and, assuming his doctor was male, I'm caught in the tired old riddle.
Doctor?
Scene 2: I attend my first class. The professor introduces herself and the course with a series of slides. Shortly, she mentions just returning from taking two years off; one for sabbatical, and the other for maternity leave. She puts up a slide that introduces her graduate research, and explains the project briefly.
She follows this with a slide which is a picture of her toddler. The slide reads 'The Motherhood Project' I smile, but immediately feel uneasy, assuming that this teacher is going to be less professional because she has brought her personal life into the classroom on the first day.
Where am I?

Scene 3: I'm listening to the radio when they mention the beginning of the trial of Michael Schmidt for selling unpasteurized milk products. During two separate newscasts, they use the same report of the courtroom, in which the reporter describes the members of the public present in the courtroom...he describes some of them as "...wearing Birkenstocks, some carrying cloth bags."
Because, of course, only hippies are interested in this debate.
I'm sure my Nonna would have been there if this were another place and time.

No comments: